Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Winter is Coming Part. 3

Previously I began this journey with discussing some of the optional rules and/or personal house rules I decided to implement for this game and the reason for these rules choices. This is the continuation of that blog which will take several blogs to cover as I plan to showcase these choices in small yet in-depth ways. As a warning I would like to preface this by informing you that this may contain some spoilers for the campaign and thus I give you the earnest of **SPOILER** warnings should you not want anything ruined for you in this amazing Adventure Path.

**SPOILER WARNING**TURN BACK NOW**SPOILER WARNING**

Passive Perception
The Perception skill is one of the most used skills in the game. I do feel there is a difference between actively looking for something versus passively coming across something.  As a test run I am introducing Passive Perception from previous editions of D&D.  A characters Passive Perception is 10+Perception skill bonus.  This is to introduce more atmosphere to the game as well as reduce the barrage of skill checks when certain characters are asked to make them.  This is a test run to see how it works even in Pathfinder and with our group dynamic.  At times I may outright roll for a players Perception check given the significance of the check or the source of the check.  

Innate Item Bonuses 
Pathfinder is written in part with the dynamic of a player character and the magical items they use to handle the ever increasing threats of the game. This can over time change the tone of the world when you have a a character decked out in floating order, gaudy armor, flaming weapons, etc.. One of my players refers to this as the Christmas tree dilemma. One of the ways I wanted to approach this issue was to try out the Innate Item Bonus rules from Pathfinder Unchained. This new rules set carries with it a tiered bonus (based on the item) which grants the wearer the ability to use other items they may not normally use while also increasing their character wealth worn without being decked out much like a "Christmas tree".I am having this new rules set only apply to items relating to the Neck Slot, the Shoulder Slot, and Rings as the system is new to us all and I wanted to try it out in parse before I would have to revamp the treasure of the entire Adventure Path. My players are excited and I am interested to see how this new rules set plays out in the game.

Sketch by Max Dunbar
**NOTE** One new option I have not implemented, but have been mulling over, was the alteration to the Spellcraft skill relating to discovering the properties of magical items. After several iterations and some difficult conversations with my players I am contemplating making only a slight change to the skill. Should a player fail a Spellcraft check to identify an item by 5 or less they may continue to examine the item for a number of rounds equal to twice the Caster Level (CL) of the item to know its properties. The original change was to be more focused on knowing the item after studying for a small period of time rather than one check per 24 hours. In the end I plan to present this option to my players soon to try and hash it out once more. If it is not well received then I will most likely drop the matter altogether.

That's it for now but please keep an eye out for the next blog (I promise it will be a much longer blog) as I continue to go over the options I decided upon for my upcoming Reign of Winter campaign. Thank you all for your time and stay awesome my friends!!